Sid Robinson and his family have lived in Upland for nearly 32 years, residing in the same home he and his wife Beth purchased as original owners in 1986.
Sid was appointed to the City Council in December 2016 to fill the seat vacated when Debbie Stone was elected mayor. During that time, he has been an influential member of the Council, writing the argument for the successful Measure E ban of commercial marijuana operations in Upland. He has helped spur a number of development projects to help grow city revenues. He has been part of a City Council that has approved ordinances to improve quality of life issues in Upland, while also supporting initiatives to improve city streets, trim trees, annex fire operations to San Bernardino County, bolster the Upland Police Department and address the homeless issues that plague cities throughout the United States.
Since assuming his seat, he has been active on a number of city committees, including Police and Fire, Public Works, Economic Development, and Investments. Independent from those council appointments, he also is the City Council representative on the Upland Community Foundation board of directors. Robinson serves on the executive committee for the League of California Cities Inland Division and the League of California Cities' statewide Community Services Policy Committee. He also has represented Upland as a voting delegate at the 2017 and 2018 SCAG General Assemblies.
City Committees and Mayoral Appointments
- Member, Police and Fire Committee;
- Member, Public Works Committee;
- Member, Economic Development Committee;
- Member, Investment Committee;
- Board Member, Upland Public Financing Authority;
- Board Member, Successor Agency to the Upland Community Redevelopment Agency;
- Board Member, Upland Housing Authority;
- Past Commissioner, Upland Planning Commission;
- Past Member, Airport Land Use Committee;
- Past Member, Traffic Safety Committee.
City of Upland Representative
- Member, League of California Cities Statewide Community Services Policy Committee;
- Member, League of California Cities Inland Empire Executive Committee;
- Voting Delegate, SCAG 2017 and 2018 General Assembly;
- Board Member and City Liaison, Upland Community Foundation;
- Member, City Relations Committee, Upland Chamber of Commerce.
- Co-Chair, Upland Community Committee, Fairplex;
- Board of Directors, Upland Community Foundation
- Board of Directors, Inland Valley Recovery Services
- Board of Directors, Upland Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, Upland Veterans’ Monument Committee;
- Board of Directors, Upland Sports Foundation (organization currently inactive);
- Past Member, San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools Strategic Planning Task Force;
- Past Member, Marketing Committee, San Bernardino Alliance for Education;
- Past Board of Directors, American Lung Association of the Inland Counties;
- Past Board of Directors, VP Marketing; Boy Scouts of America Old Baldy Council;
- Past Member, Rotary Club of Claremont and Claremont Sunrise Rotary
- Past Board of Trustees and PR chair, LeRoy Haynes Center;
- Past Board of Directors, American Cancer Society, Inland Valley Unit;
- Past President and Board Member, Claremont Dugout Club;
- Past Board of Directors, coach and manager, Upland National Little League;
- Past Board of Directors, Southern California Winter Baseball Association;
- Past coach, City of Upland Parks and Recreation Basketball;
- Past winner (multiple years), City of Upland Holiday Decorating Contest.
- Accredited Member (APR), Public Relations Society of America (PRSA);
- Past President and Board Member, PRSA—California Inland Empire Chapter;
- Past Board of Directors, PRSA—Western District;
- Past President and Board Member, Press Club of Southern California;
- Past Member, Public Communicators of Los Angeles;
- Past Member, International Association of Business Communicators;
- Member, American Marketing Assn. (Inland Empire Ad Club).
Throughout his life and prior to joining the City Council, Sid has been an active member and influential leader in his community. Owner of his own Upland-based strategic communications firm Robinson and Associates, LLC, he currently serves on the Upland Veterans Monument Project Committee, Upland-Fairplex Community Committee and on the board of directors for Inland Valley Recovery Services and the Upland Chamber of Commerce, where he chairs the community relations committee. He was a member of the Upland National Little League board of directors for a decade, also coaching youth baseball teams for nearly 15 years. He also coached teams in the city's youth basketball league. Most recently, he participated in the Point in Time Count of people homeless in Upland.
A native of Claremont, Robinson has enjoyed a successful and diverse career as a strategic communicator and public relations professional spanning more than 33 years, launching his own firm after a long and effective tenure as Associate Vice President for Public Affairs at California State University, San Bernardino. He also is a columnist for several local media outlets and an adjunct professor at Cal State San Bernardino.
Previously, Sid worked in public relations positions at Fairplex in Pomona, Magnet Communications, the Los Angeles Dodgers and at Hollywood Park. He is APR-accredited by the Public Relations Society of America.
Sid earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Communications from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, and a Master of Arts in Public Relations from the University of Southern California, where he was named the School of Journalism’s (now Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism) Graduate Student of the Year by the Trojan Fourth Estate. He has won countless awards for his public relations programs, including Best of Show awards from the Public Communicators of Los Angeles, Public Relations Society of America California Inland Empire Chapter and the Press Club of Southern California.